Tuesday, April 21, 2015

It all started with a duck

I moved to Montreal and the different kinds of food in the grocery store were simultaneously amazing and terrifying. After my eyes would scan past the pork (no pork eaten here) they would land on the chicken, beef, and fish. I would try to glaze-over the packages of brains, livers, and hearts. I wanted to cook new things. I wanted to expand my go-to dishes for dinner. My old time favorite go-to is Turkey. Nothing better. In Canada, Turkey is priced at a premium.  Clicking my heels three times I remembered that I was no longer in the land of milk and honey where everyone ate Turkey called America. I was in Canada. Here they love pork and fish and they hate turkey. I am joking as I say this. Not really, but maybe a little.

I learned the hard way. I used to eat ground turkey all the time and now the cost was prohibitive. My leaner lifestyle was at stake and now I went back to steak (couldn't resist!)

Every time I went to the store, the new proteins before me mocked me. There were new things to try and I was being a wussy American. 

One day I bought a duck. I said I can cook this canard. It sat in my fridge for 1 day. I then put it in the freezer because I was intimidated. It sat in the freezer as I cooked many roast beefs, chickens, and hamburgers. Then I saw a leg of lamb. I love lamb. I bought it and said I will ask one of my Greek friends what to do.  How best can I cook this? I bought a new giant pan. For days I compared recipes and techniques. 

Many said to cook the lamb "slow and low".

Others proselytized "shallots, red wine, and mint sauce on the side".

I also consulted my Moroccan SIL and she set me straight. She is a killer awesome cook. I went for it. I was cooking something new and exciting and major. The prep was awesome, the aroma from the oven all day (I went with slow and low) was sumptuous. The lamb was awesome. I proved to myself that I could do it. I could do anything. I just had to believe that I could.

I had come a long way from cooking chicken in soy sauce and onions circa 1996.

Empowered! I opened the freezer and my eyes landed on the sad canard. I called Miami-made and asked how she cooked her duck. She loves duck. She orders it whenever she can. She is my duck expert. I listened and even watched a few videos. I ghost of Julia Child mocked me. 

Cooking the duck was a lot for work, and a VERY greasy clean. It was delicious. I have not done it again. Only because the work to clean-up-ratio for that little meat and no leftovers = not worth it again.

I want to try and cook new things and see what works. Today I put on a pair of shorts that fit me 4 years ago when I was about another 15 pounds lighter. Which means the new eating lifestyle is working. I am getting stronger and leaner and smarter. 

I bought some dill, parsley, garlic, and shallots yesterday. I am playing around with some new sauces. All these fresh herbs are so good for my nutrition and well being, 

Think differently.

Try new things.

13 weeks in, 2 sizes down, and 15.5 lbs lost and the spring has just started.

No comments:

Post a Comment