Thursday, April 2, 2015

Why Shrewdsnackers and why now

We all have had people come into and out of our lives and leave their mark on us. One such friend is, Miami-made. She has been a staple in my life since Barnard College circa 1992. She loves me and can be surgically critical of me, my lifestyle, choices, etc. She is critical in a way that pushes me forward to be a better me. Someone who cannot be bothered to chit-chat about bullshit. Someone who has my back but also will not accept any nonsense.

We talk about Shrewdsnackers.ca and what I want to get out of it. I see for myself a better health, longer life, a business idea for my family to live on. Miami-made probes me to answer things that I have not yet figured out. She propels me to see the biggest picture. 

She says "talk about your struggle. How you have been fat and thin everything in between."


She says, "blog about how you lost 60 lbs at fat-camp and I didn't notice because I never saw you as fat."


She says,"if we could just go back to the weight we used to be when we thought we were fat, then we would be happy." 

Only a woman who has struggled with her weight understands that feeling. 

I am an Ex-Pat here in Montreal. As a New Yorker, I am used to access. I enjoy seeing 20 different brands of shampoo offered in the grocery store. I want the ability to access whatever I need to make my life better. Moving to Montreal, has been an adjustment in that area. Getting used to not accessing what I want easily has been torture. 

I took this sense of loss and went one set further. I said that if a parent is trying to access snacks for their kids that are needed due to allergies then there should not be any barrier to entry.

I would create a snack box service where parents could buy snacks for their kids and have them delivered monthly. I would use my marketing skills to create my own niche and I would help parents eliminate unneeded stress.

So why now?
As a permanent resident here in Montreal, Quebec, I consider living here a gift and a luxury. This country, Canada, and province, Quebec, are beautiful. My children attend a fantastic public school where they are becoming bilingual in a French. In the official two years that I have been here I have met many entrepreneurs. In Canada, the government, creates a medical safety net for its citizens. This enables the citizens to reach for their own dreams and actively participate in their Canadian destines.

In the dawn of 2015, I decided to stop waiting and stake my claim. 

I want to live a long, healthy, and stress free life. I want to teach my kids how to approach food in the right way and make great nutritious decisions for themselves. 

We are all in this together. Here is a picture of me with my kids this summer. Chasing great health together.



No comments:

Post a Comment