Thursday, April 9, 2015

What about Cheese Popcorn?

What about my French bread? Pita bread? I have already given up bagels. Now Naan? I love Naan with my Tandori chicken: is that off limits now? The Naan I mean, not the chicken, I can eat that Naan with Tzatziki sauce and grilled chicken all summer long. Wait, is there Gluten in the Tandori sauce? What about Butter chicken?

I started Shrewdsnackers.ca because I saw a friend who had just been diagnosed with Celiac disease, along with her son, and she was desperate and stressed to find snacks for her son that made him not fight the new medical diagnosis. I sympathized with her plight and silently breathed a deep sigh of relief. This wasn't my problem or something that I had to contend with my children either. But I did sympathize with the stress because stressing about your children's well being is the absolute torture.

Two months ago I noticed how tired I became 4pm. I could literally fall asleep standing up. I saw this happen to my mom at 37 and that is when she became a Type 2 Diabetic. Now at 41, I still need to lose another 40 lbs. that I have been trying to lose for at least 20 years. I knew then that I had to change my way of eating or I would become a diabetic. Then I feared that it all the years of bad eating truly out weighted (no pun intended) all the years of better eating and exercise. But I made a change and it was immediate. No Carbs from grains (excerpt rice and oatmeal) before dinner.

The change was instant. My energy shot up and I lost 15 lbs in those 8 weeks. I also lost all bloating around my ankles. 8 of those pounds came from just increasing my water intake, tea consumption, and drinking hot lemon water every morning before anything else. I eat smaller meals and more often. I am definitely hungrier. I still have to figure out the best way to manage that. I don't like thinking about food all the time. That didn't work very well for me for the first 30 years. It's a marathon and not a sprint to good persistent health.

Carbs from grains aren't my friend. I could actually be Gluten-sensitive. I will continue eating this way to get healthier.  

Here is another picture. Not missing a moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment